Bienvenidos a three day blog. If you've just stumbled your way here or you arrived from a Google search (you know who you are), you may want to visit my about me page....and then subscribe to my RSS feed because, yes---I am that addictive.



Thursday, September 13, 2007

a little story for thursday

My parents married August 31st 1973.
Twenty-nine years later, a few days shy of their anniversary, they separated.
A year later the divorce was final. They would have been married thirty years.

There were so many situations and issues of why this occurred and I am not going to tell you even one of them.


(Sorry)


Sufficed to say I was devastated.


It has been five years since that happened and everyone has moved on as best they could. They have both stated a wish to begin to meet new people. They have grown and matured and learned a lot about themselves.
One of my parents made the initial choice to separate, which left the other one feeling abandoned and betrayed, and as a result, they made the decision---because the pain was too great---to not have any contact whatsoever with the other one. This has been awkward, to say the least, and heartbreaking when you really get down to it. Anthony was 6 months old when his grandma and grandpa split up so he has had no recollection of ever seeing them together. It is odd to me, considering it is normal to him.

About a month ago my mother called and told me that she had a date planned for the following week. My first thought was that it wouldn't pan out. My second thought was that if this panned out that it would kill my dad. I then brushed it from my mind.
I meant to call my mom and ask her about the date but time got away from me. She ended up calling me and I told her that I was going to call and that I was sorry. She said that it was fine but at the same time I felt that she was acting very strange. She proceeded to tell me that the date went fine and that in all probability this was it. What kind of it I wondered? Very soon I realized she meant the I do, till death do us part, kind of it. So I started getting very quizzical about this potential new dad.
What is he like?

Is he nice?

Does he have kids?

The whole bit.

My mom patiently answered all my questions and then quietly said

"Rachel?"

"It's your dad."


9 comments:

  1. Great pictures and crazy news. Unbelievable. I wish them the best of luck. By the way, I've tagged you. (I'm soooo sorry.) See my latest blog entry for the details, or feel free to ignore it completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sweetie!!!!

    that was so touching...seriously....i wish and pray the best for them...and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel! Isn't this what every child of divorce hopes for? I am so happy for your family's happy news. No matter what age we are, our parents offer us a sense of security and when they split us I am sure you felt that loss. I am really so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOAH! I did not see that coming at the end of your post. What an incredible story. You must've just been completely stunned...

    Divorces are so painful. My parents split up when I was young. It wasn't messy and they were always civil (in fact even more than that, they remained excellent friends) to each other. My mom is remarried and my dad is a happy 50 year old bachelor. They both love their lives, love their children to death...

    But that doesn't change the fact that a day doesn't pass in which I don't wish they were still together.

    What happened with your parents is such a dream...it's the happy ending that every kid from a broken home always wishes for. Divorce is so common these days. Reconciliation isn't. So what a completely amazing turn of events for your family!

    abrazos para ti amiga...

    ps. And tomorrow an email will be coming your way! Sorry it's been a few days, I'm so behind on everything right now...but I have some things to tell you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their kind words. I am living in a very odd parallel universe where the parent trap is a true story. But I couldn't be happier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get out of town Rachel!!! How incredible is that? I guess they realized they loved each other!.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing story! What a blast their wedding will be. How neat for your family.

    ReplyDelete

from the peanut gallery