Bienvenidos a three day blog. If you've just stumbled your way here or you arrived from a Google search (you know who you are), you may want to visit my about me page....and then subscribe to my RSS feed because, yes---I am that addictive.



Monday, October 1, 2007

you voted so here you go: the artichoke...as promised

It was a dark and stormy night It was afternoon, on a Tuesday. The kids were in bed and I was half-crazed with hunger. Not the kind of starvation where I might imbibe a horse. After all, I wasn't that far gone. No, it was a discerning hunger. One that turned up its nose (does hunger have a nose?) at the most common of repasts. Frozen bean burritos would not satisfy me, this day. I barely sacrificed a glance at the leftover spaghetti on my sweep of the fridge. And then, as if a glowing beacon shone down, leading the way, I saw it.

Beautiful.....

green.....


kind of poky.

The Artichoke.

The last artichoke.


I knew then, what my destiny was.

Side note: if artichokes aren't your thing and you feel your personal experience of reading this story is being ruined thereby---please feel free to imagine whatever it is that is your particular idea of culinary heaven.


okay...now back to the choke.


I spied the perfect compliment to my future meal.

It was perfect.

It was exquisite.

It was mayo.

I scarcely knew how I could stand the 25 minute wait.


But I did.
I can only poorly describe the delectable goodness, the mind blowing taste explosion, when I first partook of that much sought after food.



Did I mention it was the
last artichoke?


It was about the third worm that I encountered, that made me think I might not be able to enjoy this particular meal. I can't say I was exactly angry. No. I was too much in shock to be angry. Did they think they would win, with their cool demeanor, lily white bodies, and saucy attitude? I heard there was strength in numbers. Oh yes... I was sure there were more of them. Waiting...biding their time.
Suddenly it was upon me.
I had a choice to make.

What would I do?


9 comments:

  1. Oh my, I have a weak stomach so I would have chucked it!! GREAT STORY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so well written and funny that it was a little less gross... lol


    Bradley
    The Egel Nest

    ReplyDelete
  3. this almost made me cry, for I love thee artichoke, as well.

    RIP poor artichoke.

    Hope you found an appetite again, heh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just vomited a little in my mouth....

    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The suspense is killing me over here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel,
    Finally got around to playing your fun name game- check it out when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahahaha, you crack me up! I love the way you write!

    and I love me some alcachofas too, yummy! although I do prefer mine worm free...

    ReplyDelete

from the peanut gallery